The Nigerian Navy is a branch of the larger Armed Forces, which also includes the Nigerian Army and Airforce.
Recently, the Nigerian Navy’s functions have included ensuring that Nigeria’s waterways are properly guarded in order to eliminate sea piracy, crude oil theft, and a variety of other water-related crimes.
The Nigerian Navy is one of the largest in Africa, with a large number of personnel, including Coast Guard personnel.
Because of the prestige associated with the Nigeria Navy, many Nigerians wish to join. If you want to be a naval officer, this article will arm you with all the information you need. It is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for Nigerian Navy recruitment, which is done online.
Before we get into the steps proper, let’s look at some instructions we should know as we read further to know more about how to apply for Nigerian Navy recruitment exercise.
It is expected of all applicants who wish to join the Nigerian Navy for Direct Short Service application to adhere to these instructions:
1. Applicants should have any of the following educational qualification
• West African Senior Secondary Certificate/West Africa Examination Council
• WAEC City and Guilds or London City and Guild
• General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level
• Ordinary National Diploma (OND)
• First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC)
2. Any certificate or qualification not declared or presented at this stage will not be relevant when the recruitment process is concluded and cannot be accepted as a condition for the change of branch or advancement when you have been recruited into the service. This means the qualification you joined the service with is the only certificate that will be recognized by the service.
3. All applicants must fall within the age bracket of 18 – 21 at the time of joining the service for all certificate holders while those beyond 24 years of age should have qualifications like nurses and NCE holders
4. All applicants MUST be single
5. All applicants MUST be Nigerians by birth
6. All applicants should print out parents/guardians consent form and Local Government attestation form
7. Any candidates whether male or female with eye and /or ear defects or any major orthopedic issue is not qualified to apply
8. Required height for male is 1.70M and above while that of female is 1.67M and above.
9. All applicants MUST be free from any form of previous criminal charges by any law court in Nigeria.
Requirements for examination day include:
• A form of age declaration or birth certificate
• Originals and photocopies of credentials
• An identification form signed by a Superintendent of Police or a similar form signed by his or her LGA Chairman
• 4 passport photographs signed by the same person mentioned above
• Duly signed form by applicant’s parents or guardians
• Completed application forms must be submitted online
Any candidate found to have forged documents, impersonating or cheating in any form will be disqualified and handed over to the police for prosecution
Computer literate applicants have more advantage.
It Might Interest You To Read: How to Apply for the Nigerian Defence Academy in 7 Easy Steps
Nigerian Navy Direct Short Service Commission Course (DSSC)
Qualification: Applicants MUST have a minimum of second class upper degree for BSC holders and upper credit for HND holders with good computer skill.
Height: Height requirement is the same as the one above
Age: Applicants MUST be between 22 and 28 years of age, but for imams and priests, they shouldn’t be more than 30 years.
Applicants who wish to apply for Nigerian Navy for Direct Short Service Commission Course MUST meet the requirements above and those listed in DSS except for age and height.
To apply for Nigerian Navy recruitment, follow these steps:
Voucher Purchase: If you meet the requirements above, go to any approved Nigerian bank and purchase the application voucher for N2500 for DSSC wile N1000 for DSS (as at 2015). Remember that the fee keeps changing from time to time.
Online Registration: After buying the voucher, visit the recruitment portal on www.joinnigeriannavy.com, use the serial number and PIN to login to the site. These login details and instructions are also on the card.
Fill out the Form Correctly: you are almost there, now complete the online application form and print out a copy for yourself for test that you see on the page from the portal above. Crosscheck the details you have given before finally submitting the form. Ensure you are honest with filling out the form and do it carefully so that you don’t make mistakes.
Follow Up for Test: This is the final stage on how to apply for Nigerian Navy. Check the website with your login details to know when the exam is fixed. A shortlist of applicants who are eligible to do the test is published on the website. You should be able to see your name and center if you are a successful candidate for the test
Attend the Test: Come to the designated test center with the requirements listed above (both originals and photocopies) and the printed copy of the application form.
This piece is step-by-step process on how to apply for Nigerian Navy entrance exam online as well as the dos and don’ts involved in the test. All applicants who wish to participate in this test must follow all the instructions carefully so that you are not disqualified or punished.
It is also important to note that Nigerian Navy officials who conduct these exams do not condone misconduct in the exam hall during the test as they are always ready to punish anyone found wanting. The Nigerian Navy recruitment exercise is done online and it is divided into DSS and DSSC.