In this article, we at Stechitegist.com will be discussing all you need to know about Nigerian Veteran Actor, Olu Jacobs ranging from his Biography, Early Life, Age, Career, Family, and Many More.
Oludotun Baiyewu Jacobs popularly known as Olu Jacobs is a Nigerian actor, writer and producer.
Olu began his professional acting career in the 1970s in England.
Olu Jacobs came back to Nigeria in the 1980s and has since then promoted the Nigerian movie industry, Nollywood.
Today, he is a world class actor with over seven decades of professional experience.
Altogether, he has featured in over 200 home videos, 100 stage productions and over 30 television productions in Nigeria alone.
In 2021, he won a life time achievement awards at the Africa International Film Festival.
Before we dig deeper about him, here’s a summary of his profile below:
Olu Jacobs At A Glance
- Full name: Oludotun Baiyewu Jacobs
- Nickname Name: Olu Jacobs
- Gender : Male
- Date of birth: 11 July 1942
- Age: 79 year’s old (2021)
- Place of birth: Abeokuta Ogun state
- Active years: 1970 till date
- Nationality : Nigerian
- Marital status: Married to Joke Silva
- Profession: Actor, Writer and Producer
- Net Worth: $5 Million
Olu Jacobs Biography and Early Career
Olu Jacobs was born on July 11, 1942 and he hails from Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria. He was born and brought up in Kano state, Nigeria. He attended Holy Trinity School, Kano. Then, moved on to England to study Theatre Arts in the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA), London.
Olu Jacobs had always loved to participate in school and church drama activities right from his childhood. But, he was inspired to build a career in acting after attending late Chief Hubert Ogunde’s annual concert party held in Kano. The night stage play motivated him and afterwards, he obtained a visa and went to England to advance his acting career.
After studying at the Royal Academy (RADA), Olu Jacobs got himself into acting and started traveling round overseas acting films. He starred in series of television shows like Till Death Us Do Part, The Venturers, Angels, The goodies and many more.
As time went on, he came back to Nigeria to continue his acting career. Basically, Jacobs has starred in series of movies both within and outside the country, and he is one of the prominent actors in Nigeria today.
Olu Jacobs Personal Life
Jacobs got married to Joke Silva in 1989. Joke Silva is a popular Nollywood actress. They are blessed with children and grandchildren.
Popular Movies Acted By Olu Jacobs
Olu Jacob has starred in numerous films. Some of them include;
- The Professionals, 1977
The Dogs of War, 1980
Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, 1985
Aba Riot 1&2, 1999
The Last Vote, 2001
Dear Sister, 2004
Eye of the God’s, 2004
To Love a Stranger, 2005
Eagle’s Bride, 2005
Omaliko 1&2 2005
Dancing Heart, 2006
Jealous Heart 1&2, 2006
Before the Sunrise 1&2, 2005
21 Days with Christ 1&2, 2005
Kingdom Apart, 1&2, 2007
Hidden Treasure, 2008
Beauty & the Beast 1-3, 2008
League of Gentlemen 1&2, 2009
Sacred Lies, 1-4, 2011
A Better Tomorrow, 1&2, 2011
Heroes and Zeros, 2012
The Antique, 2014
Bloody Ring, 2014
The Royal Hibiscus Hotel, 2017
Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts
Olu Jacobs and wife, Joke Silva founded the Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts (LAPA) in 2009. Lufodo is an educational institution that delivers world-class hands-on training in acting and performing arts discipline.
It is interested in building creative professionals who will in return improve the stage, television and film production in Nigeria. Also, the school is accredited by the National Board of Technical Education of Nigeria (NBTE).
Additionally, Lufodo offers a full time 2-year conservatory program with a National Innovative Diploma in Performing and Media Arts certification. It is fit for secondary school leavers and budding industry practitioners aiming for the highest professional standards in their career.
Lufodo Academy also operates a consult called LAPA consult. LAPA Consults is a body that provides intensive and presentation training for executives, professionals and corporate bodies. Basically, Olu Jacobs is the CEO, while Joke is the Vice Chairman of Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts.
Olu Jacobs Awards and Recognition
Olu Jacobs is a multi-award winner. He has received awards both within and outside the country for his professional achievements. Some of them include;
- Best Actor in a Lead Role, ‘Dancing Heart’ African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA), 2007
National Honours of Member of the Federal Republic (MFR), President Goodluck Jonathan, 2011
Merit Award for Outstanding Achievement in Acting, Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards, 2013
City People Movie, Life Time Achievement Award, 2015
Lifetime Achievement Awards along with his wife, Joke, Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA), 2016
Best Actor in a Supporting Role, ‘Oloibiri’ African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA), 2017
Olu Jacobs Quotes
- “There’s always going to be challenges no matter which way you turn. It’s about how you face them.”
- “Love itself is perfect but the lovers are not perfect. Love is stronger than the pressure to be perfect.”
- “We must be good stewards of the time, talents, gifts and opportunities that God has entrusted to us.”
- “The problems in life come when we are sowing one thing and expecting to reap something entirely different.”
- “If we are to be fruitful in life and enjoy the harvest of honour, accolades and recognition, we must realise that there are no shortcuts.”
- “Now is the time to sow the seeds of hardwork, diligence and determination that will yield the fruit we desire in future.”
- “The energy you have is more than sufficient but we wither them away on frivolities.”
- “Energy is what you need to explode.”
- “You are the only one who can help yourself.”
- “When you are the best, remember, you did not choose yourself, and that’s what makes you a star.”
- “You don’t call yourself a star, the public does because the moment you name yourself a star, you have stopped growing.”
- “We need to ensure that our children sit on the right kind of cushion, so they don’t get injured.”
- “The economy of what you’ve got is what you need now more than anything else.”
Entrepreneurial Lessons From The Life Of Olu Jacobs
Nollywood is ranked one of the largest movie producers in the world. Amazingly, Olu Jacobs is instrumental to this success, because of some of his cogent contributions. He came back to Nigeria when Nollywood was an infant, and today, he is a legendary actor.
A great lesson for entrepreneurs! Do not despise the days of little beginnings. Little drops of water can make a mighty ocean so, start developing that business.
Conclusively, Uncle Olu as popularly called in the industry is regarded as a world-class actor due to the way he delivers every role passionately. And so, for budding entrepreneurs, we need to know that being passionate about our venture, will get us through tough times.
Olu Jacobs Net Worth
Olu Jacobs net worth is currently estimated at $5 Million.
Olu Jacobs Social Media Handle
You can connect with Olu Jacobs via his official social media accounts:
Don’t you think this post will be helpful to somebody else? Please share it to others via the social media button below Thanks for reading. Do well to drop your question in the comment box, we will be glad to hear from you.