Do you know that you can receive a scholarship to study in Nigeria at any level? A scholarship is a type of grant or financial aid provided by a school or organization to students. Scholarships are sought for a variety of reasons, particularly by young people, ranging from the desire for a better education to financial reasons.
The most common reason is financial.
The scholarship may include, but is not limited to, a Bsc, Msc, or Phd. Whatever the reason for seeking a scholarship, most people believe it is not an easy task. But come on guys, let’s make this walk a little easier. Here’s a guide to getting a scholarship in Nigeria.
TYPES OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarships are more often than not geared towards a certain group of people and have certain requirements.
Schools or organizations offering scholarships normally state who the scholarship is directed towards. Some scholarships are directed towards people from developing countries, athletes, specific fields of study among others.
The Scholarship may cover all the tuition and living expenses, others cover tuition only or part of the tuition. Be sure to ask for proper clarification from the school or organisation when applying for a scholarship on what type of scholarship they offer if it is not stated in the details of the scholarship.
Scholarships can be found in different ways. The first method that comes to mind is using a search engine.
A quick search on google or any search engine will produce a lot of results. It is advisable to search with key words in order to streamline the results.
An example is “M.sc scholarship” this will produce M.sc scholarship available in various countries and schools .If you have a specific school or country in mind, kindly include it in the search.
You can also visit the website of schools you are interested either or contact them via email or walk up to the school scholarship department.
If its not a school but an organisation you can do the same visit the website or contact them through mail or phone. Kindly refer to their contact details there is always a number or email there to make enquires.
It is important to be careful of scams, and fraudsters if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. Scholarships are designed to be free and no payment should be made to any individual.
When in doubt of the authenticity of a scholarship, contact the school or organisation in charge or the university commission in that country.
Other ways you can get information about scholarships include but are not limited to the following:
Contacting the the school or organisation in charge of the scholarship
University academic staff (Yes, academic staff do get information about scholarships. So you can ask your favourite lecturer for information).
Using dedicated scholarship search sites.
Some religious organizations offer scholarship opportunities.
Federal and state governments also offer scholarships.
Make enquires from people in your field of study or career .
Build a network of people who have accessed scholarships .
Most people may want to study outside their home country, which is really achievable if one sets his or her mind to it.
Most schools abroad offer scholarships to international students. When apply for scholarship for a school outside your home country kindly check if if there are any language exams to be taken or the need to be literate in any language and also enquire if there would be any exams to be taken such as SAT among others.
How to Apply For a Scholarship
- Before applying for a scholarship, be sure to read the requirements carefully. Kindly note the requirements.
- Check if you are eligible.
- Note the type of scholarship if it is a full scholarship or a part scholarship. If it is not a full scholarship kindly note what the scholarship covers.
- Note the deadline for submission of academic records and other documents.
- Some schools or organizations would require an essay on a given topic as one of the requirements for the scholarship.
- In a case where an essay written by the applicant is a requirement for the applicant to get a schoarship, the applicant would have to write a strong and convincing essay.
- In writing an essay, ideas should be strong and clearly explained in simple and clear English or any language as stated by the school or organisation. Emphasis is on simple and clear English because nobody needs ambiguous and large words. Stick to simple. The key is for your essay to be understood. In writing an essay ensure you do not plagiarise’ that is copy the works of others. It is a big offence. Keep your essay original.
- You can ask your family, friends or past lecturers to help go over your application
- Be prepared at all times with the necessary information you might need. For example you don’t want to be applying for your transcript one week to the end of a deadline
- Do read the requirements carefully to avoid wasting time on an application that you are not eligible for. You can keep track of your application by contacting the school or organisation in charge.
- Most schools or organisations have a tracking system. It would not hurt to ask. In filling out the application for a scholarship, please ensure all information provided is correct and true.
- Please do not give out incorrect information.
- It is important when in doubt or not clear on any area when applying for a scholarship, do contact the school or organisation in charge.
- Kindly do not assume. It it also important to ensure all documents get to the school or organisation well before the deadline. Many have lost scholarship opportunities due to late arrival of documents needed.
These are the basic information you would most likely need to get a scholarship. For any other information or clarification kindly contact the school or organisation.
Do not be scared to ask questions the more correct information you get the better. Correct Information is key. Getting a scholarship is very achievable. All the best and get that scholarship, I know you can.